Monday, August 6, 2012

the relativity of comfort

I am back! This is my first post being back in America. I am sure there will be several more posts because it will be impossible to share all about the epic adventure in just one post. I have actually been back in America for three weeks now but only back in Texas for a week (we took a family vacation to Hawaii for two weeks). It's been interesting adjusting back to life here. I have been super busy and haven't had much time to reflect and collect my thoughts. So here goes my attempt at doing that.

If you have read some of my previous blog posts, I have mentioned that before going on my trip I had been convicted that comfort was an idol in my life. Well, I can type here two months later that it is no longer an idol! There is no such thing as comfort in India. Actually, I came to find out that the term comfort is quite relative. My "comfortable" living conditions are still not very comfortable compared to my American living. I just want to post something I wrote in my journal on June 9 (twenty days into my trip):

"Up to this point in my walk with Christ, I had never suffered for the gospel. I have lived a comfortable life, serving God maybe one week every summer for VBS or a mission trip but other than that I didn't really focus much of my time on loving others with Christ's love. Now that I am in India, I can say that I have suffered and sacrificed for the advancement of God's kingdom. It is very uncomfortable here. Us girls are having to stay in a believers' home but their house is two small rooms and one big room. We sleep on the floor of the big room and I feel like a burden on the family. We are always in their way and it is impossible to sleep without being culturally inappropriate. That brings up my next bit of suffering. The power is off for probably 12-15 hours a day here. Sometimes those powerless hours occur when we are sleeping. In a room with poor circulation and no ceiling fans, sleep is hard to come by. I wake up in the middle of the night dehydrated and sleeping in a puddle of sweat. While these sufferings have, at times, distracted me from why I am here, God continues to reaffirm my purpose here in India. When I accepted Christ I didn't sign a contract granting me a life of comfort and luxury. No. When I accepted Christ I laid down my old life of comforts and pleasure at the feet of Jesus and took on the life of Christ. While he was here on earth, he was rejected, homeless, persecuted, and even beaten by the ones he loved. This is the life I have chosen as a follower of Christ. Not of life of comfort or safety, but a life of sacrifice and selflessness. I know that in the end, the reward will far outweigh the sacrifice. Even in my short time here, I have experienced so much joy in some of the smallest things. Nothing can separate me from the love of Christ." 

In retrospect, I do not think that my living situation was that bad or that anything that I experienced was intense suffering. I don't want to scare you away from India. It is a beautiful place with even more beautiful people! I would go back given the chance. Throughout the summer God taught me, like Paul in prison, to be content no matter what the circumstances may be. There were times in India when my cup was empty but there were also times when my cup overflowed. God provided for me in my every need! Here are some verses on suffering that helped me through many sleepless and extremely hot nights!

I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.              Romans 8:18

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen in temporary and what is unseen is eternal.            2 Corinthians 4:16-18

For God called you to do good, even if it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in his steps.                1 Peter 2:21

Finally, here are some pictures of where I lived while in India.

This was our sleeping arrangement in the national believers' home.

When we finally got to move to our flat!

squatty potty

our unfinished flat

our living area

No comments:

Post a Comment